Sunday, May 11, 2014

HEALTHY VEGETABLE PANCAKES and THE IRONIES OF DAILY LIFE

I feel like a hypocrite as I sit at my computer writing.  The Japanese Vegetable Pancakes, Okonomiyaki, I served at a luncheon at my Church Book Club were devoured with such enthusiasm that I could not wait to share the recipe with my "Sola" readers and so I sit and write...
Okonomiyaki and 2 Sauces, Soba and Edamame Salads
The dish is healthy, simple, nutritious, delicious as is, but I came up with a "sola" version that is far less work and still retains the flavor and great nutritional benefits!

Now, the confession: while I write, I am savoring the aroma of a rather decadent Toasted Coconut  Cake and "taste-testing" a Farfalle Pasta Salad.  These are headed to the Church for a celebration, so I am sort of absolved from my "sin" and Health-Coach-Guilt. The irony is still glaring, however.
Toasted Coconut Cake with Cream Cheese and Coconut Milk Frosting


Life is what it is…for the most part, I eat and serve what is truly whole, natural and good food, and truly love it, but there are occasions when one must compromise. This is one,.So, here I am, offering you a great, healthy "sola" recipe while  I am in he midst of food for a crowd with questionable nutritional credentials!

I call them "Japanese Latkes"! They are made much like a Potato Pancake, except have several, very nutritious vegetables, a little Asian flavor, and are served with Japanese Sauces instead of sour cream and apple sauce. In Japan it is served as one large "pancake", similar to a frittata, but for our purposes, making several small ones is more appropriate. This way they can be a snack, breakfast, a side dish or dinner, and can easily be frozen and reheated. Okonomiyaki , aka, "Japanese Pizza" and "Japanese Soul Food", enough said.

Okonomiyaki, translates into "what you want - cooked" or "as you like it". You get the picture. There are as many versions as there are people. Street vendors and some restaurants are dedicated to Okonomiyaki only. Eggs, flour, cabbage are the basics, and sometimes there is pork, bacon or ham or shrimp included. Usually topped with 2 sauces, a sweetish Okonomiyaki Sauce, similar to Tonkatsu, and  Japanese Mayonnaise, with vinegar, hot sauce and honey. Then, some add dried seaweed or bonito flakes too.

Some restaurants specialize in "make it yourself" Okonomiyaki. They bring the ingredients and a small burner and griddle and you do it yourself!  They are traditional in Osaka, Hiroshima, Kansai, and in Tokyo, you may find a small pancake. They vary by region, and are available throughout Japan.

When I first made them, I grated the cabbage and made ribbons of the carrots, used all purpose flour and made them medium sized. A little work, but worth it.


Cooking Okonomiyaki





Two were sufficient for dinner.
And they were great! 

When I had to do them for a crowd and wanted to make them gluten-free, I changed a few things. I purchased Angel Hair Cole Slaw mix, thinly shredded cabbage, and bagged matchstick carrot shreds. The work load lessened. Then I added some broccoli slaw shreds for more nutrition and variety and used garbanzo bean flour (chick pea flour) in place of wheat flour for the gluten-free crowd. Now these are VERY EASY!!

It all worked very well too.  Less work, more nutrition and still delicious!

OKONOMIYAKI SOLA GINA

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage (Angel Hair Cole Slaw)
  • 1 cup matchstick carrots
  • 1 cup broccoli slaw
  • 2 large leaves kale , stems removed, sliced into ribbons (chiffonade)
  • 1 scallion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons (or more) chickpea flour or wheat flour
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 large eggs
  • dash of tamari
  • oil for frying, coconut or peanut oil
Mix all the veggies together and toss with flour. Beat eggs and add tamari or soy (I use Bragg's Aminos).
Heat oil in a skillet. Add veggie mix about 1/4 cup at a time and flatten to make pancake.
Let brown and flip to brown and crisp other side.  Add more oil as necessary.
Drain on paper towels.
Platter of Small Okonomiyaki

Serve with Traditional Sauces  (above) or a soy and rice vinegar dipping sauce or plain!

If you like them and want to have some on hand to eat anytime, triple or quadruple the recipe and freeze the pancakes with wax paper between. Seal them in a plastic bag. Take our what you want, and heat them in a 350 oven for about 10 minutes to recrisp.

Try and Enjoy guilt free!!






No comments:

Post a Comment