Sunday, July 29, 2012

LOVE, HONOR and OBEY...YOUR FOOD WHIMS! No Soy Bok Choy and Summer Corn Salad

 
Tomato, Carrots, Scallions, Sunflower Sprouts, Corn and Bok Choy

I am making progress in this unexpected and unwanted journey into living and cooking "sola".
My refrigerator serves as evidence. No longer is it overflowing with unfinished and forgotten little somethings... (well, not as often!).  You can actually see what is within and even see some hints of the shelves peeping through.  That improvement is due to the new style of cooking and eating I have been striving to achieve:  creating new dishes out of small amounts of unused foods, and eating untraditional meals as I please. Or, simply said, I am eating whatever I want and happen to have on hand!


I didn't say it was neat, just an improvement!!

Those croutons in the bag could become part of a Caesar Salad or mixed with the leftover Chick Pea Soup (on the right) with some tomatoes (they are NOT in the fridge, ever!!) and rosemary for a Pappa al Ceci e Pomodoro; we'll see.

I love my husband, although it has been nearly a year since he left this earth. When I make his favorite foods, I silently honor him. We both obeyed our food whims whenever we could, and now I do so more often, and, truthfully, more easily, but not more happily.

  Love always...inspiration forever...

So, Dear Bob, some of what I create for myself would not hold your interest, but those that would, I heartily enjoy with you in spirit.

My recipes here, today, for Bok Choy and Summer Corn Salad would be a pleasant diversion for you. Last night's Mojo Pork and Yellow Rice with Black Beans would get more attention, and you would have loved the remaining rice and beans with ham and hot sauce I had for breakfast (!). Yup, you would...but, I imagine you would have "suggested" we have them with New England codfish cakes!


The hot sauce is of course our favorite Piri Piri


Last week, I bought some beautiful Baby Bok Choy at the produce market. The usual way of preparation for this beautiful vegetable is Asian Style, but my taste buds were just not cooperating or desiring Asian flavors (unusual). Of course, I did not want this treat to go unused, so I got creative, "sola style".  Remember, use what you have, and let your food fancies guide you. NO SOY BOK CHOY (still a joy, :( ..  sorry) is the result.

Bleu Cheese Crumbles, Baby Bok Choy, Smoked Jalapeno Almonds, Garlic

NO SOY BOK CHOY

2-4 heads baby bok choy
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 - 1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbled
jalapeño flavored smoked, salted almonds, chopped coarsley
peanut or canola oil

Wash bok choy. Cut bottom stem and separate larger leaves. Keep center intact. 
Heat oil in a skillet. Add minced garlic or use a press. Saute for about half a minute. Add bok choy and cook until imbued with oil and garlic. Add a splash of wine, water or stock, cover and let steam for a few minutes.  Uncover and top with cheese and nuts.

Bok Choy cooking with garlic and wine

SUMMER CORN SALAD

This salad has no recipe. It is "sola style".  Cut fresh corn off the cob, either raw or slightly steamed.
Toss it with chopped vegetables including something from the onion family, scallion, shallot, red onion, chives, etc., and fresh basil or thyme.  Toss it with a white wine, cider or white balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Let sit to meld flavors and serve as in or on greens. A touch of jalapeño or hot sauce would not hurt!

Sauteed Sole with Panko, Summer Corn Salad, No Soy Bok Choy

Both of these recipes can be  varied at will. You could change the bok choy into Greek Bok Choy with feta, olives and tomatoes, or use walnuts and a dijon mustard vinaigrette, etc.

The corn is also good with a creamy ranch style dressing with cherry tomatoes..

We will always share a lovely bowl of fruit and a cup of coffee

Obey your food whims "sola", and enjoy, Gina






  

No comments:

Post a Comment