Saturday, July 21, 2012

THE KISS PRINCIPLE: Keep it Simple Sweetheart

     Guess what would drive Bob crazy about this arrangement!



Simple is sometimes a welcome word in the kitchen, especially when cooking for one.  Simple means  not complicated, but it does not have to mean boring or dull.

Last week, after enjoying Thai food for 2 days in a row, I was ready for something a little more bland, some comfort food, but certainly not something insipid!! Comfort food, after all, can be mashed potatoes and gravy, or chili, depending on the kind of comfort one seeks! I was in the "roast chicken" comfort zone.

The first step in the creative process is to inventory what is available. Whimsical trips to the market always result in excess food which clutters my refrigerator and pantry, and depletes my bank account. Cooking "sola" has taught me this:  one person can eat just so much at one sitting, and whatever one does not consume can wind up lost,  lonely and forgotten. :(
 It is better to build a dish from what is on hand at the moment.

The chicken breasts and fresh broccoli I found reminded me of a popular dish from years ago,  one which we had recently featured in Apron's at Publix, Chicken Divan. It's a simple, comforting dish with    broccoli, wine and a cream sauce, just perfect for my mood..well, ... almost perfect...

Aha!  behind the broccoli were some mushrooms I had nearly forgotten, and... what are mushrooms without garlic... and sherry would give the sauce more body than the white wine in the original recipe!
Wow! Simple ingredients, simple cooking steps, yet I was excited about my dinner.  I added an onion and brown rice pilaf, and a simple salad, for a simply scrumptious meal! (sorry, I simply get carried away with alliteration sometimes!) :(


CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI, MUSHROOMS AND SHERRY

1 - 11/4 pounds boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons flour
all purpose seasoning (salt or salt-free whatever you like)
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely minced
broccoli florets (about 2-3 ups)
1/4 -1/2 pound sliced mushrooms (portabella for best flavor)
1/4 cup sherry wine
3/4 jar Alfredo Sauce (a good brand)
Grated Parmesan or other cheese to taste

Dust the chicken pieces with seasoned flour. Brown them in the butter. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms get slightly softened. Add sherry and let simmer for a few seconds. Add broccoli. Cover and cook a couple of minutes until broccoli is cooked, al dente, and still bright green.
Add Alfredo sauce and simmer together for a few minutes.  Top with grated cheese.


A nice comforting meal

Here was one comforting meal on he table, but this was not the end..I had lunch another day, and froze a portion of it for later! Yet..there was still a bit of Alfredo Sauce remaining.  Back to the inventory search (there is a connection between "invent" and "inventory" you know!!) for inspiration to create another night's comfort meal.

This time I discovered Dover Sole, and a package with one Maryland Crab Cake in the freezer. This brand of Crab Cakes, by the way, are great. I am not saying I will never make my own again, but these are an excellent substitute and you'll need no apologies if you serve them, and no regrets if you eat them! They are SeaPak Maryland Style Crab Cakes available in the supermarket, 2 cakes per package.

See the big lumps of real crabmeat!!  mmm..

I digress..I stuffed the sole with the crab cakes and rolled them. Butter sautéed scallion and wine added to the Alfredo made a nice sauce especially when topped with seasoned breadcrumbs. Another simply produced classic from the past:  Filet of Sole Stuffed with Crabmeat!!

Simple Steps


Another delicious comforting meal,  "Sola" Style


Learning to cook "Sola" is an adventure. I take short cuts I would never have imagined in the past, but the results are usually good and satisfying as long as the quality is maintained.  

Happy Cooking, Sola Gina.

No comments:

Post a Comment